Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Home is where you lay your head...the debate

During my visit in Toronto i had a friend kinda get upset after i made the comment, i can't wait to go home to new york. She asked how could i call NYC home when i had only been there for 4 months. It made me think, at what point do we start calling another place our home? Is it as basic as the place we rest our head, a place to call our own for a certain period of time, or is there a bond that forms between city and person.

I'm still thinking, but i'd love to hear thoughts

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

OH... this debate always happens when I am home in Indiana. My brothers are always offended when I refer to New York or wherever I am spending the majority of my time as home. They got to calling places my fake home. That being said....if we are on vacation and staying someplace we start calling that going home at the end of the day. I don't really know how we define it....I just have multiple homes I guess.

Jodi said...

I didn't get upset, I just miss having you around! If home is where the heart is, does that mean my home is New York too?

S. said...

From my dad who doesn't want to create an account
"My comments on home were that it is anyplace where you have people who love you, a warm place to lie down and a place where you can be yourself. Most people have several homes. It is a state of mind.
I love you and you can visit your home here anytime and as often as you wish.
dad"