Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Kelp Noodles


What the heck are these little noodley buggers? People i've been reading say they are the insides of kelp...the sea vegetable. I went on the hunt for them. I tried my local organic grocer (because kelp noodles are a "raw" product)...no luck. I tried the specialty store...no luck. I tried the Japanese market where no one spoke English....no luck. Okay let's google. Well apparently kelp noodles are HUGE on the west coast...who's surprised there? The company provides the noodles to almost all the Whole Foods in LA and San Fransisco and then a few extra health related stores (i swear they have at least 45 or more stores selling kelp noodles) and New York has ZERO! count'm ZERO stores selling kelp noodles. Oh wait i lied, in Buchannan, NY, Flushing, NY and Pine City, NY there are stores that sell them.
Because we live in a world where i CAN get anything i want, i went online and ordered them. Well here's the annoying part, the company who makes them "Sea Tangle" only sells them in cases of 12, so the search continued until i found a small raw/vegan/organic store that sells them. They arrived in that fancy packaging that i already wrote about and here i what i created.

I call them Asian inspired noodles.


You rinse the noodles and they are ready to eat. The thing is they have NO taste. It's so strange, they are ridiculously crunchy, but have no taste. I'd say they are kinda like a cucumber, but even cucumbers have a taste. Because of the lack of taste i added some other yummy thing.


I added some tofu for protein, carrots, and later some cucumber. For sauce i made a peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, toasted sesame seed and cilantro mixy deliciousy thing. I swear i could drink this concoction!
And Voila....an up close and personal shot of my lunch.


HIGHLY recommend at least trying them. You can't loose in this one. no taste, lots of crunch and ridiculously good for you!

No comments: